...so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. Hebrews 9:28

Thursday 26 April 2012

Tivoli

We took a day trip to a little hilltown east of Rome called Tivoli.  It used to be a summer retreat for the wealthy of Rome and has several wonderful sites.  A friend of Jeff's had recommended it as a great day trip, so we headed east.

We have truly enjoyed traveling by train here in Italy, with every journey going smoothly and enjoyably.  Our quick commuter trip to Tivoli was no different.

We wandered through the little town with no map or plan, other than to find Villa D'Este, a Renaissance villa built in the 1550's for a cardinal.  I would like to say I remember his name, but there are SO many cardinals/popes associated with things here that I do not remember.

A couple of slices of pizza and some gelato later, we found it!  The villa itself is huge with lots of beautiful decorations and frescoes, but the striking part of Villa D'este is the garden with its many wonderful fountains.

This is the famous "Hundred Fountains."






It is hard to say what was more beautiful ~ the fountains or the flowers!

LOVE the tulips!  I know I am missing seeing them come up at home, so I am glad to see them here.




The boys were happy to come across this furry little friend.  He looks cuddlier than he was!

I liked this fountain/flowers combination the best ~ there were 3 huge pools leading up to the enormous fountain.  


I think we ALL got our pictures taken in front of this one. :)

More wisteria.....I never tire of it.


Here are the boys boarding the train to head back to Rome....on to another adventure!

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Loved the post once again! My only comment is that, we never get to see any photos of Jeff! Is he actually on this trip with you?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff is not a huge fan of getting his picture taken. :) And you should see him ~ his hair is longer than I have ever seen it and he has a full beard! I will try to get a shot or two and post them. :)

      Delete