...so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. Hebrews 9:28

Monday 15 April 2013

Connemara National Park

The area in western County Galway where we were staying is referred to as Connemara.  There was an entrance to Connemara National Park right in Letterfrack, so we decided to take an afternoon to explore the park a bit.  We had heard there was a great hike of a mountain called Diamond Hill with 3 loops, one of which takes you to the very top of the mountain.  Ben is not a big fan of heights, so he wasn't too sure about it, but we set out anyway, saying we would do the first two parts and see how we felt.  Of course, once we got that far, his competitive juices wouldn't let him quit, so all four of us set out for the top.  



The smiling hikers at the beginning of the hike.


Two parts in.....still smiling!

The trail ahead......


Deep into the final part of the hike....a much-needed breather!


We thought it might be funny to make it look like Jeff was the only one who needed a break, but that was definitely not the case.  I love Ben's fake smile. :)


Getting close to the top!



Almost there.......


Made it!  The boys' friend Killy had told them about a custom of taking a rock off the trail and putting it on the highest point on the mountain, so naturally the boys HAD to do it.  This was no small feat as it was incredibly windy at the top of the mountain.  I was especially proud of Ben, who did not let his fears stop him!


Way to go, Chris!



 

It was VERY steep on the way down....even I was a bit nervous.  Ben made me even more nervous because he practically RAN down.  I think he really just wanted to be OFF that mountain. :)


This view back toward the top gives a picture of just how steep it was.


Happy to be nearing the bottom.  I really do appreciate that Jeff and the boys did this hike with me.  I tend to like hiking more than the rest of them and I know they did this for me.  It will definitely be one of the highlights of the trip for me.  Thanks guys!






1 comment:

  1. I love all the hiking that you are doing! So fun and such beautiful scenery! Proud of Ben too, for facing his fears! Thanks for posting!
    ~ Kris

    ReplyDelete