...so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. Hebrews 9:28

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Sometimes.......Things Just Fall Into Place

This might be a boring post compared to the previous posts ~ there aren't many photos ~ but after this trip is over, I want to remember how happy I was on the days when the homeschooling parts of this trip fell into place ~ Monday was one of those days.

Ben and I are currently reading a book called The Story of Inventions.  It is an older book, about old (and sometimes boring) things, and though it is filled with great information, it doesn't always lead to either one of us really connecting with the inventions they are talking about.  We have been reading about steam engines and steam locomotives and the chapter ended with a description and picture of George Stephenson's Rocket, one of the first truly practical steam locomotives.  Ben marveled at how small it looked in the picture and he wondered aloud how big it really was.  So I said, "Well ....... let's head on down to the Science Museum and find out!"   I had happened to see online the night before that the actual Rocket  was located at the Science Museum here in London. He lit up with a huge grin when he realized we could just walk a few blocks and see this old steam locomotive we had just read about ~ connection made.



That day's reading also included a chapter in another book, this one about the Renaissance.  It talked about various artists, ending with discussion on da Vinci and his Mona Lisa.  We realized that we would get to see this famous painting next week when we are in Paris and go to the Louvre ~ an upcoming connection I, especially, am looking forward to making (I think I love the art museums the most of any of the museums we go to ~ I can't get enough of them!).

And finally, we finished up the day by attending a performance of The Railway Children, based on the wonderful book by Edith Nesbit.  We had just read the last chapter of the book that morning, with not a dry eye in the house....okay, so maybe it was just me crying, but Ben and Chris have LOVED this book.  The play was set in a former Eurostar terminal in Waterloo Station with the audience seated on either side of the tracks (we were in the middle in the front row on our side ~ absolutely perfect seats ~ thank you, Jeff!) and a real steam engine was part of the show.  It was an amazing performance, so faithful to the book we had just lovingly finished.  I wish I had been able to take pictures of the set because I really can't adequately describe it.  Also wish I had thought to take a video of the boys' reaction to the show ~ they absolutely loved it, start to finish.  The connection was palpable for all of us ~ not sure how else to describe it.  We truly feel blessed to have days like this.....when things just fall into place.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing writer you are! I loved this post! I am in awe of your trip, the education you are giving your children and the experiences that make everything all the richer!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete